U.S. orders evacuation of embassy in Yemen

WASHINGTON – The has ordered the U.S. Embassy in Yemen evacuated as a result of the threat by al-Qaida that has triggered temporary shutdowns of 19 American across the and Africa.

A statement issued Tuesday says the department has ordered the departure of non-emergency U.S. from Yemen “due to the continued potential for terrorist attacks.”

WATCH: The U.S. and other countries closed out of concern a terrorist attack had been planned for Aug. 4.

Play Video

The says U.S. currently in Yemen should depart and calls the level in Yemen “extremely high.”

READ MORE: Al-’s message led to embassy closures

A U.S. intelligence official and a Mideast told The Associated Press that the current shutdown was instigated by an intercepted between al-Qaida chief Ayman al-Zawahri and his deputy in Yemen about plans for a major terror attack.

About Global News